The Câmpia Turzii station is located in the southwest area of the Câmpia Turzii municipality, in the vicinity of the Mechel ISCT (Industria Sârmei Câmpia Turzii) complex, with Transelectrica as the beneficiary.
The 110/20 kV station was commissioned in 1954 to supply the ISCT complex, the town of Câmpia Turzii and the Turda - Câmpia Turzii area.
The 220 kV station was commissioned in 1978, being an important connection station for the Cluj, Alba and Mureș areas.
In the inner station there was a double system of bars and open masonry cells. The existing cells had outdated equipment with a major risk of failure, arranged on two floors, making it difficult to use and maintain them.
The station was in an advanced state of corrosion and decay. From the point of view of the equipment, both primary and secondary existing in the outdoor type station, the normal life span was far exceeded, which required a large volume of maintenance work.
As part of the project, all electrical installations were modernized.
In order to carry out the works, conditional on ensuring the continuity of the electricity supply to consumers, it was necessary to carry out temporary 110 kV and 20 kV in two stages for each voltage level.